Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Philosophy Thoughts #2

A little more Stoicism from Epictetus....
"Events happen as they do. People behave as they are. When something happens, good or bad, the only thing in your power is your attitude towards it; you can either accept it or resent it."
I think sometimes people misunderstand what a Stoic is. Some people believe that a stoic is someone with no emotions, cold & calculating. That is not true. In fact, many of the roots of Stoic beliefs bear striking resemblance to Christian concepts.
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

                          The Serenity Prayer
The Stoic philosphy is to concern yourself with the things that you can control and don't waste emotion, time, or energy on the things that you can't. I find this to be very valuable as a high school football coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment