Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Gettin My Mind Right....

         I regret that my posts on this blog have been very sporadic over the last several months. Like most of you, I got caught up in juggling the events of the season with my family and my two young children. In addition, one of my closest friends (and a Hall Of Fame-caliber wrestling coach) was killed in a freak accident, leaving behind a two daughters and a son, all under the age of 7.
       We were the same age and our sons are the same age and this has been a struggle for me. Both of us had taught and coached from a young age, sowed wild oats for a good little while, and now had settled down and started families. Over the occasional cold beer, we would talk about things that men should talk about but rarely do. We laughed and cussed and joked and fussed. We talked about the great mistakes that we had made and about the things we were proud of. We talked about coaching, and developing young men, and marriage, and fatherhood, and reconciling the person we had become with the person in our past. Some of these talks are what led me to try this blog, as a method of self-reflection, among other things.
      But Mike is dead now, taken from this earth in the blink of an eye and I don't understand. Dozens of times in our youth we had done stupid, reckless things that could have gotten us killed. But why now? When he was the epitome of a great father to those three children and a role model to an entire generation of young men that had wrestled for him. I don't understand.....
    Mike was one of only a couple of people that I told when I started this. He thought it was a great idea and was very encouraging about the whole endeavor. So for my friend Mike, and for myself, I am going to get back on this horse and try to be much more disciplined and diligent about posting. I am going to get my mind right.....

PS: Thanks for letting me vent a little

No comments:

Post a Comment