FAITH: "Measure wealth not by the things you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money."
A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
LEADERSHIP: The Law of Solid Ground - Trust Is The Foundation of Leadership
No leader can break trust with his people and expect to keep influencing others. Character makes trust possible. And trust makes leadership possible.
- Character Communicates Consistency - Leaders can be counted on to perform day after day.
NBA Hall of Famer Jerry West
- Character Communicates Potential - Weak character is limiting.
- Character Communicates Respect - Respect is essential for lasting leadership.
PHILOSOPHY: A few nuggets that I found from Bruce Lee (yes, the martial arts guy) concerning adversity
- "Adversity leads us to think properly of our state, and so is beneficial to us."
- "It is not a shame to be knocked down by other people. The important thing is to reflect on why you are being knocked down, and see if can you change it."
- "To be able to do the things we want sometimes requires the performance of a few we don't"
- "Patience is not passive; on the contrary, it is concentrated strength."
- With adversity, you are shocked to higher levels, much like a rainstorm that is so violent, but yet afterwards all plants grow."
FAMILY: "There is no doubt that it is around the family and the home that all the greatest virtues, the dominating virtues of human society, are created strengthened and maintained."
FOOTBALL / COACHING:
"He will never be a tough competitor; he doesn't know how to be comfortable being uncomfortable."
I found this quote to be very interesting & shared it with my players. Can you be comfortable being uncomfortable? Can you handle criticism? Can you handle being put into pressure situations in practice? Can you adjust to different environments and adverse situations? We try to sell our kids on how good it is to be coachable and that, if we are animated and tough on them in practice, it will allow them to see actual games as being easier.